@!ex$$w0r!d™ ©

When someone sees the same people everyday they wind up becoming a part of that persons life. Then they want the person to change.If someone isn't what others want them to be then others become angry.Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives but none about his or her own.

Last Monday while falling asleep in my Remote sensing class I was constantly disturbed by my mobile in the vibrating mode.More so when you wear that old tight jeans the discomfort is disgusting.Then picking out your mobile to check those sms’s becomes a labour.Though I usually refrain myself from checking the sms’s the number of sms’s I started receiving made me curious & I finally read the message-‘Abhinav Bindra wins gold in 10m air rifle’.All sms’s had the same content.Though the name was not all that unfamiliar I would have struggled to recogonize him had he himself turned up to take our remote sensing class.During our stroll to the canteen after the class I could only hear one name in everyone’s lips.

I felt both ashamed & proud.Ashamed for the fact that I had the least knowledge about the new national obsession.Ashamed for the fact that India never produced an individual Olympic gold medal pre Abhinav had never struck my mind.Ashamed for the fact that I never cared about the olympics being telecast live ,though in DD Sports.The olympics was all but Sania Mirza ,Anjali Bhagwat & to an extent Saina Nehwal for most of us in the college.Sania dissapointed as expected on the field which we are divine enough to forgive,but turning up in track suits for the opening ceremony was a lack of culture.Abhinav gave us reasons to sit glued to the idiot box hoping for another Indian to pull a rabbit out of their hats.

I quickly returned to my room & googled on him.Well a handsome,young son of a billionaire with a so called poker face.I should’nt be writing his biography over here since all those of you who care would have read all about it.

But after reading a lot about him I dindn’t exactly feel too proud.The feeling of pride embraces you when you feel one among us or may be a lesser priviledged mortal went on the world stage & made himself counted.But Abhinav simply isn’t one among us.How many of us have billionaire dads who will gift you a 200 crore hotel?How many amongst us will get an opportunity to have the most sophisticated accessories & training facilities once we prove our mettle?Reports suggest he has never trained in the Tughlakabad Shooting Centre – the best official facility in the country simply because he knew that woudn’t help.

The euphoria of the medal will take time to settle down & I believe it’s the intoxication due to that same feeling which makes journalists write this is the start of a new era.I wonder what the American & Chinese journalists would have felt about their Indian colleagues who went gaga over their first individual gold medallist.

Who knows how many more Abhinav Bindra’s are there in the remotest villages of India?I have seen primary school kids throwing down mangoes with amazing consistency in a village in Kerala.I have seen 10 year old kids swimming against the tide in the tsunami affected Fort kochi beach.I have also seen a 6 year old girl doing stunning acrobatics in a heritage resort in Rajasthan to earn bread for her family.

Abhinav Bindra deserves all the credits & accolades which are showered on him.

But is it just talent alone that counts in this country?

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

25 footnotes:

first of all
Happy Independence Day
Now ur post was nice
keep blogging

Vinayak

Bindra truly is a national hero..

ya he is real hero

he atleast saved our asses this time....
hats off to him..


do drop into ma blog..

-Prashanth

the medal was worth the wait! :)

happy independence day!

hey alex...well said..agreed that he might be a billionaire or so..but gold at olympics is no piece of cake mate..it does require lots of hard work..money may get u the best facilities but its ur hard work that pays at the end of the day...

and on ur blog..its really nice...jus drop by wen u r free...take care and wish u best of luck..

http://oneunitedmanunited.blogspot.com
http://shanthu87.blogspot.com
http://watiff.blogspot.com

no it is not talent alone that counts in this country.. there is influence.. there is money.. there is infrastructure..

I agree that Abhinav Bindra's father is a billionaire and have got everything. But what I like about him is that.. he had made maximum use of the resources provided to him... In most of the cases this doesn't happen.

so congratulation abhinav...

www.freakyfryday.blogspot.com

good post.

@vinayak,tanmay,ranjeet,prasanth & matangi

im pretty convinced that u havent read the post

@shantaram
dats not my point
i respect Abhinav's acheivement as much as u pple do
bt my point is had he been born in a less affluent family wud he stil hav gone on & done this?

@freakywiz
point taken n xactly true
making max use f d resources often doesnt happen

bt my question is whethr india wud ve opened their account had abhinav been born with less materialistic pleasures?

@lover
which post?
i guess i shud post one on sincerity

a very good post, something which i was going to write, because the same thing happened with me too (i was in class, and got to know through a friend's sms n all)...i share the same sentiments, ashamed i am of not knowing who he is, although i did bother to watch saina's match and leander paes n bhupati's match on DD sports when they were one...but i didnt bother about akhil kumar..or this bindra guy...
although proud that India has got one at last..and hope it's not the last one...

Happy Independance Day....
p.s- i'll be writing a post on Bindra, so pls don't think i have copied your idea...seriously i was gonna write one but exams on, so no time really...

hey alex, nice post dude..abhinav bindra deserves a gold medal ...

true...

indain sports was suffering but this gold kinda revived our hopes...

three cheeersss 4 abhinav......


:)

No. What counts in our country is money. Not talent and nothing else. Call me a cynic, if you will.

@mads
thnx
btw bindra s not an idea i guess

@gagan
thnk u

@rinzu
thnx

@dame
i cant agree with u more but obviously money without talent wont help
i wont call u a cynic for this
thats xactly wat i wrote

Alex seems your blog has received mixed bag of emotions. Well I do agree to the fact Abhinav is from influential family unlike ours and he does has his own shooting range.

But the fact is he took pain to achieve that GOLD. Why are we focusing more on where he practiced and how much money he has.. Why are we ignoring the fact that he kept his cool and worked hard to win that GOLD MEDAL.

Next point I would like to make is though we are well aware of the fact that India does not provide best of the sports facilities and officials are corrupt yet what have we done for the same.

Remember it's easy to blame than to be the change you want to see.

Recently I was going through some blogs on bloggers when I came across to a very thoughtful blog..

I would like to share it with you and please read it.. I am yet to find who has written that blog.

http://youngistan.blogspot.com

@sandy
hi sandy

first of all thnx 4 ur sincere comments which is so rare

maybe it's my inability to convey things in my mind,but what u ve comment doesnt xactly reflect on my post.I dun hav ne issues with abhinav being rich.but my point is what if another abhinav is born in a less affluent family?what does our country have or has done to convert him in2 a gold medal?I guess i ve appreciated his efforts in my post but do u wholeheartedly believe he would have done this but for his richness?Is this something which gives us hope & pride?Is he a role model to the poor children with amazing talents which i ve mentioned in my post?Let me make my point loud & clear-is it talent alone that matters???

the corruption rate is directly proportionate to the reducing amount of money poured into sports devlpment :P

take a look at this, bcci gives bindra somewhere around 2 crore.cricket just overshadows everything.

the story of akhil kumar is a little more inspiring though. he is actually less fortunate than bindra and he beat the best bet in bantomweight category of boxing.

i disagree & i agree

I found BCCI's gesture honorable since they are encouraging other sports though abhinav hardly needs a penny

Akhil Kumar is a bigger hero as you said though he would have done well to shut his mouth & let his performance do the talking in the quarter finals.

thnx

Yeah akhil should have shut up. but the fact that bcci can afford to give so much to someone not connected the cricketing world shows how they are looting :P

Anyway, india's show at the olympics today proved both of us wrong. THREE medals! lol . still sounds lame , but yeah it IS our best performance yet.

@manasa
u knw wat , wen BCCI doesnt encourage them people will again say they are not concerned about the overall developement of sports in India....its like a double headed sword....though personally i dun ve ne respect 4 d BCCI

i dunno how d 3 medals proved me wrong.....i am very proud of sushil kumar n vijendar...dey wer not born with a silver spoon....my point was abhinav's gold medal s not something the common man shud b proud of bcoz his medal ws not won with ne help frm d Indian system,but a crorepathy father who had it in him 2 provide all facilities

thnk u so much 4 debating n dats y i blog

ur ryte alex... he is damn too lucky... the medal has nothing to do with the facilites he got from the govt...

he is a child born with a silver spoon...

but i am proud of vijender and sushil... wat talent coming out form the suburbs and villages...!!!

three cheers for them...

hip hip huraay...
hip hip huraay...
hip hip huraay...!!!

@rinzu
xactly ..... i ws jz reading abt sushil kumar....son of a driver....dats wat gives me goosebums....not a billionaires exploits

Maybe if abhinav went over the top and babbled about his achievement, i would have stopped gushing about him, but the fact that hes just like dhoni..cool headed types makes me idolize him just as much as sushil and vijender . and and and he donated whatever money poured into his hands to the indian army. it aint his fault his dad spoils him and that he was born with a silver spoon :I

yeah i hate bcci too. especially that lalit modi. the way he was sticking to srk during the ipl period was gross.

@manasa
thnx once again....sadly i hav northin 2 counter

Lol, ok