The American Presidency elections have always had a widespread following in India.Some 8 years back the George W Bush-AlGore clash which was much more exciting with the uncertainty surrounding the results than the Obama-McCain clash was the first time I followed one.4 years since , Bush was a ‘joker’ around the world & people or rather Indians gave John Kerry a chance.He lived for another term by a mere 34 electoral votes probably to add to those ‘Top 10 Idiotic moments’ for Letterman than any governing excellence.
But I was fortunate enough to listen to “The skinny Man with a funny name “ 4 years prior to him capturing the imaginations of the entire world.I was greatly impressed by his now famous ‘Audacity Of Hope speech’ during John Kerry’s campaign.There was no doubt in my mind about what he would achieve before he died but he did it probably 5 times quicker than I expected him to do it.School children in Delhi celebrating his victory just proved why he is a super hero even among the tiny tots who hardly know anything about him.
Obama was a necessity , not just for the Americans but for those tiny tots all around India.They have been growing up learning about the their motherland , supposed to be the land of rishis & munis but on the other side they see a sardar celebrated all along the country for calling his opponent on the sports field Maa ki & not Monkey.They grow up learning about the importance of formal education , the values it imparts only to see a high school drop-out earning 6 crores in 4 weeks playing the so called bikini cricket who is the toast of the nation at the moment.They grow up in a country where the media & corporates teaches you to forget a Mohan Chand Sharma but shed tears when a Sourav Ganguly retires from crcket.The dhoti,kurta & a cap worn by the Father of their Nation gave way to Diamond stud accessories & expensive blazers on his so called successors.
Obama ,one has to say timed his entry to perfection.
“If there is a child on the south side of Chicago who can’t read, that matters to me, even if it’s not my child. If there is a senior citizen somewhere who can’t pay for their prescription drugs, and having to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it’s not my grandparent. If there’s an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.
It is that fundamental belief -- It is that fundamental belief: I am my brother’s keeper. I am my sister’s keeper that makes this country work. It’s what allows us to pursue our individual dreams and yet still come together as one American family.”
Let’s hope his words work wonders.Let’s hope Obama wouldn’t be another oratorical wonder.Let’s hope a few of those tiny tots in Delhi who celebrated Obama’s victory on the road grow up to become a true leader who stands apart from the embarrassing set who adorn our parliament.Yes,the Audacity Of Hope.
PS:I started with this long back only to be reminded by my friend in the middle that the semester exams beckon .It’s all over today & as usual I don’t have any happy news.
Welcome
******************************************************
Blog Archive
Ask Me
Labels
- college (11)
- I-Me- Myself (5)
- social causes (5)
- cricket (4)
- football (4)
- inspirational (3)
- funny (2)
- Animals (1)
- books (1)
- experience (1)
- friends (1)
- love (1)
- politics (1)
- random (1)
- school (1)
Ego Meter
Labels:
politics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 footnotes:
Obama passed his exam... hope you does the same :)
Well dont b too happy...I WILL pass the exam
I am wondering if there is 1/10th of Obama inI ndia ????
Hahah, answering to asit dhal, looking at the way the politicians acted during the taj/oberoi/nariman crisis, i dont think India will ever change unless it's citizens takes things into their own hands and say no to divisive politics!
And nice article on Obama :)
Nice article dude.....
We shall hope he is not only a good orator....
And about our politics... Can we ever compare it with them....
If not for the vote-bank politics and all that, at least i hope our politicians learn the dignity from them....
Anyways, as i've said before.. U've got a nice blog.. N this Template fits in the best.. :)
Just visited since it was long time back...
Cheers..!!
Arjun
@manasa
the problm is 50% f d citizens r polititians
@arjun
thnx a lot dude
i was just awestruck n ashamed 4 our country listening 2 McCains conceding speech , an epitome f graciousness in defeat
Well...when it comes to comparing political scenarios, i personally feel that it should not be compared.Except of the fact that both are largest democracies, still the kind of challenges both the countries face are different. While here we have casteism,unemployment,population (..bla bla..) there are other racial problems in America also.The problems of the senior citizen population and the alarming rate of increased diseases. Hopefully arrival of Obama should tackle these issues, as he claims.
But this should not be looked upon as something which no politician in India can achieve.
Hats off to Delhi state government for the brilliant metro connectivity.(although sridharan takes the laurels but the red tapism could have been enormous had government would not have been co-operative)..(and i do not say only Sheila Dikshit, but her administration).
It's a tough job to administer..really a tough one.
We can very easily blame them (oh alex himself has filled my answer in what he wrote in his recent blog about the blasts...i.e. not to play the blame game)
@chitwan
the basic idea I tried 2 convey over here is that our country lacks genuine role models or rather d wrong people r tagged as role models.Whatever d challenges a democracy face, I believe a good leader is always a good leader.I ve tried to comprehend politics for some time now & I ve never found or heard someone who made me sit back & admire until an Obama and to an extent APJ.Obama's words r so powerful.I just hope his deeds follow the suit.
Thank u so much
wht obama said was really good..hope he does what he preaches!
yeah again hope...
I HOPE HE DOESNT DISSAPOINT THE WORLD AND US AS WELL...
PEOPLE COUNTING ON HIM BIG TIME.....
;)
since hope is free evry1 has it....
Post a Comment